Monday 21 April 2008

Blame it on the rain

I have made a promise to myself and my loved ones that I will not try to compete with Nate's sense of humor. He has always been the funny one in the family. And everytime I try to top his jokes, I come off looking more like a charlatan than a Charlie Chaplin. However, while reading his first entry, I did find myself humming the all familiar Michael Jackson tune, "Man in the Mirror." Sing along: "I'm starting with the man in the mirror (oh yeah)" / I'm asking him to change his ways (his ways) / And no message could have been any clearer. / If you wanna make the world a better place / Take a look at yourself at make a cha-y-ange."

Nate's right. It does sound a bit cheesy or maybe cliche to say "be the change," but nothing will change in our world if we are not convicted to make personal changes. It is incredibly easy to fall into a cynically apathetic mindframe. During a break from college, I remember telling pop with a confident smile that I was turning into a cynic. All he said was, "Jake. Cynics have no hope." I keep that with me.

So, I'll start placing the blame on me right now. And although Nate will label the following ideas a bit quixotic, tomorrow is Earth Day (and you don't need Facebook to know that). I'll be the first to say that I don't recycle enough, I use too much water, I use too much gasoline, I waste too much paper on campus, I do not thank God daily for rivers, blue skies, white clouds, green grass, rolling hills, dramatic bluffs, and everything else I know God created and called good.

The environment is not a political issue with me. It's a faith issue. God created the earth and called it good. That's enough for me to start paying attention to how I use what I've been given. And don't give me the line that humans have "dominion" over what God created. I prefer to interpret that word as "stewardship" and not total control and selfish consumerism. With the freedom we've been given, we have amazing choices to make. I have been called by God to care for God's creation. It's a choice; I am not stuck in some cheap sardoodledom.

I am a hypocrite. Scratch that. I'm Pecksniffian. I want to cherish and conserve God's creation, but I find a thousand ways to justify my selfish wants and wasteful lifestyle. It's a conundrum. How do I live in this society without completely falling prey to overusing the resources we've been given?

We are to blame for the condition of this earth. I am to blame for the condition of this earth. My actions prove that I do not care about God's creation. It's that simple. For more information on how the term "Evangelical Christian Environmentalist" is not a contradiction in terms, go to the following website: www.creationcare.org.

By the way, the above entry includes the other nine words Webster chose as the top ten of the year: http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/07words.htm

Jake, the elder

3 comments:

Sayward said...

ok nate...i LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog! totally awesome and i'm loving the conversation.

have you seen the new commercials with the left and right wings sitting on the couch about our environment. very very true, but very very funny to see nancy pelosi and newt in such UNCOMFORTABLE positions trying to be "unified" in how they feel about the environment.

i'm all about the sentiments of the hypocrisy (i've never won a spelling bee btw...) w/ my love for Christ, yet my waste w/ our natural resources. i'm trying, more and more every day.

i'm definately linking this to my blog!

well done, young nathan, well done.

oh...you too older brother.

i'm a middle child...so i've got to overlook someone. :)

Lisa said...

Dear Dr. Jake and Nate -

What a fun idea! I would be happy to be counted among the friends of the brothers Stratman.

I had a great time with your folks over the weekend. It was a trip to see Hollywood and their new surroundings. They caught me up on your lives. It sounds like you are each blessed with great families of your own and have interesting and fulfilling jobs.

Love to you both -

Lisa Peterson Hackley
(back safe in the Buckeye State after her sojourn to the left coast)

Another Namtarts Blog said...

It's becoming so normal for people to bring in re-usable bags to the grocery store..that I now NOTICE when people ask for paper. That is a real positive change and I'm trying really hard to follow it. If the bags are left in my car, then I run out and get them. If the bags are left at home...it really bothers me...and I try harder next time. That's it for me...The Womb Mother