Tuesday 1 July 2008

more on safety

First of all, Nate makes fun of us listening to depressing music and then puts Iron and Wine on his playlist. Go figure. By the way, check out Jules' playlist on our blog: www.thestratmans2.blogspot.com. It's rockin'.

Now, for safety. I typed up a great response a few minutes ago and then accidentally erased it, so I'll paraphrase. Nate's right and I'm no good at it. That's the bottom line. It seems to me that Ellen's comment and Nate's blog are forcing us to realize that we live incredibly comfortable lives on purpose. We choose to ignore those areas (geographical, theological, or emotional) that pose problems or conflicts. We are convinced that if we take care of ourselves and our families then that means we are "good Christians." I am incredibly guilty of this fallacy (almost a heresy).

My prayer is that God will present me with situations where the "odds are stacked against me" so I can better glorify God and God's kingdom. That's a scary prayer, but I do believe Nate is right when he says that safety insiduously undermines the authentic faith.

Now, Nate, throw something up where we can argue. (For example, should Tyson Gay's incredible 9.68 100 meter dash at the US Olympic qualifying meet be disqualified as a World Record because of a 9 mph tail wind? Now that's a topic.)

No comments: